- 27cm x 19cm outer fabric
- 27cm x 19cm lining fabric
- 5cm x 40cm fabric to make the straps. I used the outer fabric, but it's up to you.
- 2 pieces of outer fabric 9 x 8 cm to make the pocket (optional... I'm not sure that I'll worry about the pocket next time.)
- 2 pieces of medium weight fusible interfacing 27 x19 cm. I like the finished product to be quite crisp and stiff so I interfaced both the lining and the outer fabric. If you'd like it to be softer you can just interface either the outer or lining fabric
- 1 piece of medium weight fusible interfacing 5cm x40cm
- 1 coordinating button
- Elastic to make a loop for the button hole. I used one of Lizzy's hair elastics!
Pin the two pocket pieces right sides together. Sew, using a 1cm seam allowance. Leave a small opening in one of the sides so that you can pull the pocket through.
Fuse the interfacing to the wrong side of your outer fabric.
Fold the outer fabric in half with the right side out. I placed my pocket on the back of my hair clip holder, but it's up to you. Place your pocket 3.5 cm from the centre fold, 3.5 cm from the short side and 3cm from the bottom of your lining piece. Pin it carefully. Make sure that the opening that you used to turn the pocket through is at the bottom so that you sew it up when you stitch the pocket onto the outer fabric.
Next, the straps...
Fuse the interfacing to the wrong side of your strap fabric.
Fold the strap piece in half lengthwise and iron so that you have a crisp centre fold. Make sure you iron on the fabric side - you don't want to fry the interfacing!
Unfold the fabric and fold each long side to the centre crease you just created and iron again. It should look like this.
Next step? Attaching the elastic for the button...
Measure the elastic so that it fits your button snugly. Pin the elastic to the back of your outer fabric halfway down the short side. Make sure the loop is facing inwards. (have a look at the picture...) Sew the elastic to the outer fabric. It's important that the elastic is super- secure. Make sure you sew over it a number of times.
Pin the outer and lining fabrics right sides together. Sew, using a 1cm seam allowance. Leave a 5cm opening so that you can turn it so the right side is out.
Last, but not least the button...
Sew the button onto the front of your hair-clip holder. Make sure that you line it up carefully with the elastic button loop. Try to sew through the outer fabric only...you don't want messy hand stitching on the inside of your beautiful finished product!