I have been without one for quite a while and usually throw all my loose change into my bag. Several times I have dug around the bottom of my work bag and found at least $30 in change. I am sure I have lost hundreds of dollars to the bottom of hand bags and children's pockets over the years!
So my theory is, put my change somewhere safe and then I'll have some extra cash to spend on important things - like Liberty fabric!!! So with the beautiful scrap's Nova sent me as part of her Liberty Scrap Challenge I have made some coin purses. I am going to be keeping all my precious coins in these from now on!
If you would like to find out how to make your own coin purse click "Read More"
I used a 90mm purse frame.
- Liberty scraps (10-12) pieces - all 2.5 inches wide. Height varying from 1.25 to 2 inches.
- 4 lining pieces cut to the shape of your pattern, two interfaced with heavy weight iron interfacing
- 2 pieces of solid fabric 2.5 x 5 inches
- 2 pieces of solid fabric 4.5 x 5 inches
Start by sewing all your Liberty scraps into a long strip. You will have enough when your strip measures a little more than twice the height of your purse ( for me about 9 inches) Press them neatly and then trim them up so they are nice and even. Once my strip were trimmed they were 2 1/4 inches wide. Cut this strip in half so you have two pieces (one for each side of the purse)
Measure in 1.5 inches from the bottom corner. Place your Liberty Scrap piece here running the height of the purse. Pin it in place. Do the same for both lining pieces. Don't forget you will need a pair like this:
When you look at it from the back it should look like this:
I think the most stressful bit of this project is gluing the purse to the frame. I managed to get glue everywhere. I am a complete novice at this, but having now done three I would suggest less is more when it comes to glue. I spread the glue out in the frame as evenly as I could with a tooth pick and then used a metal skewer to push the fabric up into the frame as far as I could. I used Selleys Kwik Grip. I tried to use the hot glue gun but it all just set too quickly for me to manoeuvre the fabric into place.