So I gave it a go and am really happy with how it worked out. I had some left over red bias tape and rummaged around for some cord. ( I was pretty desperate and about to resort to using the kitchen string but eventually found something a little more appropriate!) The piping I made was thinner that what I bought today but I think it works well for this project. It's a grown up pencil case - all for me. Yes - you guessed it - it's made of fabric from Prints Charming! This time hand printed flowers on linen (I think). I have always liked the fabric but felt it was a little somber - I do like things bright. So the red piping and lining make me happy!
I'll post a tutorial for this in the next few weeks. I am going to make a larger version for storing all my knitting needles. I'll be sure to give you measurements for both projects.