Here is a tunic I made from this pattern for Pippa a while back.
I haven't done a tutorial. I seem to be a lot better at sewing at the moment than taking photos but let me talk you through it. A lot of this pattern rework is about embellishing the facing, so let's look at that first.
- Some hand embroidery. After sewing the shoulder seams together, I grabbed my water soluble marker and drew up a sort of symmetrical design on the front and back facing. I stitched it with back stitch and french knots with 4 threads of stranded embroidery thread.
- Something that hopefully looks like hand embroidery. I have discovered Gutermann top stitching thread and I love it. It's a lot thicker than standard sewing thread but still comes in a great range of colours. Using a top stitching needle and the triple stitch setting on my sewing machine I flew around the facing and I think it looks almost as good as my back stitch (!). I set the stitch length at 3.5mm. I used this technique for top stitching the sleeves and bottom hem of the tunic as well.
- Scalloped Ric Rac Trim. The pattern instructions tell you to narrow fold and press the edges of the facing towards the wrong side. Before doing this I sewed some ric rac to the right side if the facing so the edge of the ric rac lined up with the raw edge of the facing. I rounded off the corners of the facing because I couldn't work out a way to turn a right angle and still get the ric rac to sit nicely. I folded and pressed the edges of the facing to the wrong side so the ric rac formed a scalloped edge. Attaching the facing was then exactly the same as the technique described in the pattern.
If you divide this number by 10 this is the width of your pleats it you want to make 5 pairs of pleats which is what I did. Phew! I have to admit I still cut it wrong the first time, but it was quite late at night. I sewed the short ends of this piece of fabric together so I had a large circle and ironed it all in half so the raw edges were together. Using the magic number I calculated above, I created 10 pleats with lots of pins and then basted them in place. And believe it or not this piece (eventually!) fitted perfectly on to the bottom the sleeve piece.
5. A little more ric rac trim. I don't have a good picture of this but I added some ric rac to the bottom of the tunic too. I cut the tunic 10cm shorter than I wanted the finished length, added the ric rac and then (again on the double) added a piece to the bottom. I used similar maths to step 4 to work out the length I needed to cut it. I didn't add the side vents to the tunic. It has a loose enough fit that I don't think you need them.