However, I loved the fabric - the print was very sweet and the contrast ruffles and a little bit of lace had real potential. This women's dress with a girly feel could become a pretty dress for one of my girls!
It was a very simple process. I cut the skirt off below the waist trim and ripped out the zipper. I inserted the sash at wait level and sewed up the side seam. I then put an elastic casing at the top. The ruffly shoulder straps were shortened and restitched onto the casing.
Here's the result:
I really enjoyed this project. A $9 investment and an hour of my time. That works for me!!
It has also sparked lots of ideas. I have skirts and maternity dresses that I have horded because I love the fabric. I have half finished woollen coats and dresses that I started to make for myself years ago and know I will never finish. Now I can be cleaning out a cupboard and sewing at the same time. I can be making sweet dresses for my girls and not spending any money. That also works for me!